Friday 26 February 2010

Reflections on the prototype Hundred Pacer---Feedback

After the presentation of my superhero prototype, I received the following feedback:

  • Very good
  • Really nice idea! but, yeah, you can make the superhero less "glamorous" and more realistic
  • Your flash works are really amazing, but I'm concerned she doesn't look Taiwanese, more western?
  • Yes, if you have story, you will know much cloth you're gonna put on her, it all depends on your narrative
  • Jong-to create a female superhero character is nice, but what this character looks like should think more, the face, the clothes, and maybe can create a questionnaire to ask people (Taiwanese and foreigners) what do they think of it?
  • Jong-think about your target audience and who you're talking to, well done
  • focused, strong research direction, why a female character? "I thought of disney's film and "buffy" during your presenation"
  • Jon-like your idea, to create a female superhero is good. And you have a very great research, but you must think the story. The story is an important part to introduce your hero.
  • Jong: my sympathy for the loss of your computer. The story of the sared snake, like every story in a cultural canon, represents an ideology: I would like to be able to tell what the ideology-social message is, by looking at your character, is your superhero a fashion statement or an ethical standard or a critique on culture?
  • Jong- like the tattoo effect, very cool cultural symbol, yes, make less revealing clothing---be aware of the Lara Craft look---is there a particular reason why you choose a woman character? just outta curiosity.
  • Outfit...think comfort and support, what about some protection? armor? if you need advice let me know. Sara--->"Thank you, I sure will"
  • Your drawing is great, so you need to pay attention to your work's contexts, carefully, please over the hobby.

and final feedback is especially suspicious:
  • To Jong: very nice!! how about your girl ("she isn't my girl tho I wish") looks more like local people? (western girls and Japanese girls look very different, think about your particular character?)

ok ok, from what i have received i could conclude two basic directions I need to work on:
1. Develop a deeper story that explains the character's origin myth, which has a message to my target audience chosen

2. make the character's facial features more local...


ok i understand that it is important to have a story, which is what I intend to do for the following term, and I will present a complete piece of animation that depicts her "origin myth"

but for the second point, make my character's look more local to distinguish from western girls (i assume from white?) I really don't understand especially the last note I got hinted I should make her more Japanese look?...bizarre as it is, I am not a Japanese at all, and neither is my character, why should I make her a japanese look? so, sorry, I ain't taking that advice, not i take it offensively, but simply it don't make sense... As for those who comment that on that character's look being more western, (I assume caucasian looking?) I have to say, please, I'm a Taiwanese, but of a native heritage, most of my people naturally have kinda look except for having a mocha color skin-tone, so I presented her (my superhero) in a brownish skin color as well~!!, and just look at me, I'm sure I have a very distinguishable look from your fellows' stereotypical "oriental looking" right (slanted eyes, flat-face, etc)? and the answer is, as I said, because I'm a NATIVE Taiwanese of Paiwanese ancestry...


Still, thanks a lot for all who commented on my piece of work, I really appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment